Have you heard of this? Bulletproof coffee is becoming increasingly more prevalent–as it should. Without diving-head-first into the boat loads of science behind these ingredients and the synergy that exists between them, I’ll give you the…
Semi-basic run down for why bulletproof coffee can take your coffee routine to the next level & a few tips on making your own:
- Improves your mental clarity
- Slows the assimilation of caffeine and fats in your body, making them more filling & giving you sustained energy versus just a quick boost.
- Coupling the coffee with fats improves the satiating effect of the drink and the natural caffeine content of the coffee bean helps make the fatty acids more readily available for absorption and energy use in the body.
- Laird describes this robust drink as one that will give you “a whole new focus.”
- The presence of fatty acids in the coconut ingredient help reduce inflammation in the body by decreasing triglyceride levels.
- Make sure to choose a coffee blend that is organic (preferably a dark or espresso roast, as those often contain less acid.
- You can make this completely vegan and dairy free just by using the MCT oil, coconut oil and/or palm oil.
My interest in bulletproof coffee has existed for a while now–initially prompted by this video by one of my main professional-athlete-inspirers (surfing legend, fitness & nutrition guru), Laird Hamilton.
(created with inspiration from many!)
No exact measuring here! Everything is approximate.
1 heaping Tbsp of Laird Superfood Creamer (pick your flavor of choice)
Half Tbsp Mushroom Powder
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Stevia Powder (or 2 drops of liquid stevia)
Instructions here are minimal:
- Simply combine all ingredients (sans coffee) in your coffee cup.
- Brew your coffee as usual, separately.
- When finished, pour the hot coffee into your cup to combine all of the ingredients.
- The heat from the coffee will liquify the oils and help everything to combine.
- Stir & ENJOY!
I’ve loaded up that list with the links to all of the products that I used.
Also, it’s just worth mentioning that I drink this is the morning in place of a breakfast. Lately, I’ve been practicing intermittent fasting (only liquids until 11amish, then eating from about 11am-7pm) paired with a ketogenic approach to eating. I’m not counting macros right now, but I mindfully to good sources of fat for energy and then an adequate (filling) amount of protein.
Be sure to use the code FMG20 to save 20% on your first order of Laird Superfood to equip your kitchen with all of the ingredients you need for fat-fueled, bulletproof coffee!
Have you ever made your own bulletproof coffee? I’d love to hear about it. Happy Brewing!